Monday, October 22, 2007

Like Father, Like Daughter

"You are not wearing that." If I had a dollar for every time I heard that growing up...well you know boundaries of good taste with some of our ensembles and probably should have been grateful that we weren't allowed to walk out of the house sporting some of our self-expressive fashion statements. When I would ask Dad why he cared so much about what we wore, he always gave us the same answer. "Because it's a reflection on me. You represent how I'm doing as your dad." That answer wasn't sufficient for me at the time. I didn't understand how wearing a diamond stud in one ear and a dangling cross in the other was a reflection on my dad.
how the saying goes. I will say, my sister, Jenny and I did often push the

Growing up in a Christian home, Jesus was a constant in my life. Receiving salvation at the tender age of 4 set me on the course to discovering what it means to be a Child of God. One poignant moment on that journey came early in my marriage. I was learning how to forge ahead on my own personal walk with God after letting go of the guiding hands of my mom and dad. I remember sitting at our small dining room table doing a lesson in the Beth Moore Bible study I had joined. I don't remember what I was reading about but I felt overwhelmed with the love of Jesus and how I would never want to be without Him. In emotion of the moment, I asked Him the question, "Why doesn't everyone want You in their lives?
His unexpected response came quickly and clearly -

"Because my children misrepresent me."It was the first time that I had ever heard Him speak to me in such a tangible way.

When the words hit, it caused me to ask myself, how many times have I been given the opportunity to be His representative and failed? Like when I should have shown love - I showed anger; when I should have been at peace - I had discontent; when I should have been moved - I was indifferent; when I could have given a helping hand - I gave a cold shoulder. The list could go on forever. I've heard it said that we are the only "Jesus" some people might ever see. That can be a scary thought. It reminds me of why I don't put one of those Christian fish symbols on my car. I don't want to drive under that kind of pressure! But in all seriousness, when the world sees those who publicly claim the name of Jesus, abusing it because of something like loving the almighty dollar more than the Almighty God, what does that say? It's no wonder that the masses don't come running and that cynicism is one of the deadliest plagues of our time.

Now that I've lived a little bit of life, I look back on those days when my dad and I didn't see eye to eye on the virtues of "daisy dukes" and understand more clearly his adamancy. I know what my father meant now, because it's the same with my heavenly Father. He wants people to see Him for who He really is and doesn't want either of us to look like a fool. At that, I pose myself the question, "when people look at me, who do they see?"

No comments: